Monday, February 4

One year to date...from Amber's Journal

Amber writes to a friend, then records it in her journal:

I just wanted to tell you that I am really loving Communion with God. I am not very far into it since I have only been reading a few pages at a time, but today I read the first part of chapter 3 about how our communion with God is founded in His love. Wow...I don't even know what to say. I don't know if I have ever seen it that way before. Usually I feel like I am scrambling around looking for the love of God and trying to believe it, but through His explanations and lists of verses I felt like I was drowning in it. I found myself frantically flipping to all the Scriptures listed saying, "Tell me that you love me again, God...tell me again...tell me again." It was...it IS so wonderful. Even John 3:16 is especially sweet to me today. I cannot explain how I see the love of God as so rich and abundant and not this little thing that He is reluctant to bestow on me. Owen explains how the love of God is the 'discovery of the gospel'...how we see God as angry with us, a consuming fire, full of wrath and hatred toward our sin...and then in the gospel the “kindness of our God and Savior” appears to us. After all of the expressions of love in His Word it does seem such a sin and a dishonor to Him to doubt that love.
God help me not to doubt it.