Monday, February 11

1 Corinthians 9.23

I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

I have been in First Corinthians devotionally of late. The Lord has been kind to meet me there. This verse has been the dominating theme in the past week, and I pray will be a dominating theme in my life. Kurt has posted recently about the two words all things. One of the most amazing truths about all things is that it leaves nothing out. Not a morning devotion, not reading to Ellie, not giving Isaac a bottle, not any of the mundane daily tasks...nothing escapes the all inclusive 'all'.

So if everything is included in 'all things', then there is a major questioned posed. Namely, HOW?

How do I do 'all things' for the sake of the gospel? How do I live each moment in light of the gospel realities that hang over the situation? The day I came to chapter nine verse twenty-three, was the same day I had an appointment at the Social Security office for an interview. As I sat there, I thought to myself "How?, How do I handle this situation for the gospel's sake?" This lady cares little to zero about me and my situation. She does this all day, everyday and I am just another 9 digit number to her and Amber is merely the same. I had to sign a form agreeing that several facts on it were accurate. One in particular was hard to see. I haven't considered it at all evidently, but these people are matter of fact to say the least. I don't think I was quite ready to read and sign something that stated, "My marriage ended on January 22, 2008". Those words in that order you just don't want to ponder. But there I was with no choice, but to read it, accept it, and sign that it was true. I 'know' that legally it is a reality, for sure, but emotionally I was just unprepared I suppose.

As you can imagine this produces another twist internally for doing all things for the sake of the gospel. Does all things include when you don't feel like it, or when times are tough? All means all no matter how we slice it. I would even go so far to say that in times like this and so many others that I find myself in these days, it is even more crucial to do ALL things for the gospel's sake. People are watching closer, listening more attentive, and the gospel is just as real in times like these.

If the verse ended with the first part it would be splendid indeed, but God is so wonderfully kind to offer us so much more. As I/we do all things for the sake of the gospel, I/we become partakers of that very gospel. We benefit infinitely from doing all things for the gospel's sake. We get God. We are joined forever to God. We play a part in the gospel of God.